Time to Turn Back … Your Clocks
Daylight saving time officially ends at 2 a.m. Sunday. It’s also a good time to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
TAMPA BAY – Standard Time officially returns this weekend at 2 a.m. Sunday (Nov. 5) and Pinellas County officials are reminding residents to move their clocks back one hour.
Pinellas County officials are also recommending that residents to use this time to check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. It may be time to replace the batteries in these devices with fresh ones or replace the devices altogether if one or both are no longer working properly.
Smoke alarms are a key part of a home fire escape plan. When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast. Working smoke alarms give early warning so residents can get outside quickly if needed.
The National Fire Protection Association provides these important safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms inside and outside each bedroom and sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home.
• Large homes may need extra smoke alarms.
• It is best to use interconnected smoke alarms. When one smoke alarm sounds they all sound.
• Test all smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to be sure the alarm is working.
• There are two kinds of alarms. Ionization smoke alarms are quicker to warn about flaming fires. Photoelectric alarms are quicker to warn about smoldering fires. It is best to use both types of alarms in the home.
• A smoke alarm should be on the ceiling or high on a wall. Keep smoke alarms away from the kitchen to reduce false alarms. They should be at least 10 feet from the stove.
• People who are hard-of-hearing or deaf can use special alarms. These alarms have strobe lights and bed shakers.
• Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.
Standard Time will continue until March 11, when clocks are set forward an hour and the nation returns to Daylight Saving Time again.
For information about Pinellas County, go to pinellascounty.org.
Daylight Saving | Standard Time | Turn Clock Back | Time Change | Tampabay News
#DaylightSaving #StandardTime #TurnClockBack #TimeChange #TampabayNews