Registration Open for Pinellas Citizen University
The six-week class gives participants a behind-the-scenes look at county government.
PINELLAS COUNTY – Pinellas County residents can experience an up-close and behind-the-scenes look at the first-class services provided by their county government in this year’s Pinellas Citizen University.
Registration is open for the six-week course scheduled for Thursday evenings from March 15 through April 19, with a bonus Saturday class. Participants will get a behind-the-scenes look at various Pinellas County operations each week and talk to the experts as they explore a wide range of county functions. Classes generally meet from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
During this year’s six-week course, students will learn about the five goals of the county’s Strategic Plan with a focus on how county staff members are doingthings every day to serve the public, improving citizens’ quality of life, and making Pinellas an even better place to call home.
• Learn about the budget and better understand how the county manages funds, including the Penny for Pinellas.
• Get a behind-the-scenes look at the Pinellas County Jail and its facility operations.
• See what it takes to plan a hurricane evacuation in the face of an approaching storm and how to stay safe.
• Participate in a Touch-A-Truck demonstration of the Public Works equipment that is used to provide safe, effective transportation and faster travel routes.
• Tour the Waste-to-Energy Facility at Solid Waste and learn how it processes more than 800,000 tons of waste per year, providing electricity to power 40,000 homes.
• Hear about opportunities to excel after graduation and how to get involved in county government.
These are just a few of the exciting experiences planned for this year’s session of Pinellas Citizen University. Enrollment applications are available online at pinellascounty.org or by calling (727) 464-4600. The deadline to apply for this year’s session is March 7.
Upon completion, each graduate receives a diploma signed by the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and a class picture to commemorate the event.
Tuition is $35 and includes a class shirt, all course materials, the graduation ceremony and a diploma. Registration for the limited-enrollment class is on a first-come, first-served basis. First consideration will be given to citizens who have not previously participated in PCU. Upon acceptance, a packet will be emailed to all participants with instructions, meeting places, a list of classes and other session information.
Photo of Pinellas County Courthouse courtesy of Pinellas County.
Pinellas County | Government | Citizen University | Events | Things to Do | Tampabay News
#PinellasCounty #Government #CitizenUniversity #Events #ThingstoDo #TampabayNews