Text for Help in Hernando
Hernando County is the 11th in Florida to use the Text-to-9-1-1 technology.
HERNANDO COUNTY – If you need emergency help in this county, you now have the option of texting for help.
Sheriff Al Nienhuis announced Wednesday (July 6) that Hernando has become the 11th Florida county to use Text-to-9-1-1 technology. The service is available to Verizon Wireless, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile Wireless customers, according to the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office. A text or data plan is required to place a Text-to-9-1-1 message.
Text to 9-1-1 should be used only in an emergency situation, when placing a call is not possible. For instance, if the caller is deaf, hard-of-hearing, speech impaired, or when speaking out loud would put the caller in danger. If there is an emergency and you are unable to make a call, deputies said you should remember these steps:
- Don’t text and drive.
- In the first text message send the location and type of emergency.
- Text in simple words – Send a short text message without abbreviations, slang, or emojis.
- Be prepared to answer questions and follow instructions from the 9-1-1 call taker.
The 9-1-1 operator will dispatch the appropriate first responder(s) immediately upon learning the location and type of emergency. The operator will continue to ask questions, via voice or text, in an effort to gain as much information about the emergency and pass that information on to first responders. Do not assume that the questions are delaying a response.
Users should also remember that Text-to-9-1-1 service is only for emergencies. It is a crime to text or call 9-1-1 with a false report. People sending prank text messages can be identified and located. Offenders may be prosecuted.
Deputies said users should also remember that Text-to-9-1-1 is not perfect:
- As with all text messages, messages to 9-1-1 may take longer to receive, may get out of order, or may not be received at all. If you do not receive a text response from 9-1-1, try to contact 9-1-1 another way.
- Photos and videos cannot be sent by Text-to-9-1-1.
- Text-to-9-1-1 cannot include more than one person.Do not send your emergency text to anyone other than 9-1-1.
- Voice calls to 9-1-1 are still the best and fastest way to contact 9-1-1.
For information about the Hernando sheriff, go to hernandosheriff.org.
Hernando Sheriff | Al Nienhuis | Text-to-9-1-1 | Emergency Help | TB Reporter
#HernandoSheriff #AlNienhuis #Textto911 #EmergencyHelp #TBReporter