Starkey Wilderness Park in Pasco to Reopen Saturday
Although the park is scheduled to reopen, sections of many of the trails are still off limits.
PASCO COUNTY – Starkey Wilderness Park is scheduled to reopen Saturday (May 20) after it was closed for safety concerns related to wildfires and to give firefighters easier access to the blazes.
Although the park will reopen, sections of many trail will remain off limits. Here’s the latest information from the Pasco Parks, Recreation, and Natural Resources Department:
- The pavilions, shelters and playground at the day use area will be open.
- The hiking trail will be open but a modified version. A portion of the hiking trail will be doubled as hiking and mountain bike trail.
- The equestrian trail had no damage and the entire trail will be open.
- The mountain bike trail has been modified since a majority of the trail went through the wildfire area.
- The Suncoast Trail, which runs alongside the Suncoast Parkway, will be open except the Starkey/Suncoast connector, which will remain closed. There currently is an electronic message board at the connector with some barricades to prevent visitors from entering through that entrance.
- The tent and cabin area will be open for camping but the primitive camp sites will remain closed.
- The seven-mile paved bike trail that runs throughout the park will be closed including the gate at the entrance of the park.
- The no open flame policy (campfires, grills/ barbeques, etc.) will remain in effect until further notice at the following Pasco County sites: Crews Lake Wilderness Park, John S. Burks Memorial Park, J Ben Harrill Recreation Complex, Lake Lisa Park, Moon Lake Park, Odessa Park, Sam W. Pasco Recreation Complex, Starkey Wilderness Park, Upper Pithlachascotee River Preserve and Withlacoochee River Park. The no open flames policy is rescinded at all other Pasco County parks.
For information about Starkey Wilderness Park, go to pasccountyfl.net.
Photo courtesy of Southwest Florida Water Management District.
Starkey Wilderness Park | Pasco County | Wildfire | Tampa Bay News | TB Reporter
#StarkeyWildernessPark #PascoCounty #Wildfire #TampaBayNews #TBReporter