One Man Critically Injured, 13 Dogs Dead after Pasco Explosion
The explosion destroyed two homes, according to Pasco County Fire Rescue.
PASCO COUNTY – One man is in critical condition, 13 dogs died and two homes were destroyed after a generator exploded Sunday (Aug. 20), Pasco County Fire Rescue said.
The injured man, whose name was not available, suffered burns over 40 percent of his body. He was airlifted to a trauma center and remains in critical condition.
The cause of the fire was improper fueling of a generator, according to the Pasco County Fire Marshal’s office.
Firefighters were called to 8705 Velvet Drive about 7:13 p.m. for a report of a fire with a possible explosion. When they arrived, they found both 8705 and 8711 Velvet on fire.
Fire investigators said that, before the fire, the occupant of 8705 Velvet had no power and was using a generator in his garage. During refueling of thegenerator, an explosion occurred. The explosion caused the house next door at 8711 Velvet Dr. to catch fire as well.
The occupant at 8705 Velvet had numerous dogs in cages and free roaming in his house. Fire Rescue crews were able to rescue two dogs from 8705 Velvet and one dog from 8711 Velvet. Twelve dogs from 8705 Velvet were found dead and one dog from 8711 was found dead.
Both houses were ruled uninhabitable. Firefighters said the Red Cross helped the family who lived in 8711 Velvet.
For information about Pasco Fire Rescue, go to pascocountyfl.net.
Pasco Fire | House Fire | Explosion | Velvet Drive Fire | Tampa Bay News | TB Reporter
#PascoFire #HouseFire #Explosion #VelvetDriveFire #TampaBayNews #TBReporter