Main Menu

UPDATE: Eight Without Homes after Clearwater Condo Fire

Fire | Blaze | Firefighter

Nine condominiums at Top of the World were left uninhabitable, forcing eight people to find new shelter after Thursday’s (Dec. 24) fire, officials say.

CLEARWATER -A blaze that started as an accidental kitchen fire displaced eight residents of Top of the World on Tuesday (Dec. 24), according to Clearwater public safety officials.

A total of nine condominiums were left uninhabitable and damages totaled an estimated $420,000, they said. No residents were injured, but one firefighter had to be treated at the scene. The above-normal heat and stifling humidity also took a toll on firefighters battling the blaze.

The fire began about 2:55 p.m. at 2021 Australia Way W in the American Colonial building at Top of the World. Clearwater fire officials said a pot of grease was left on the stove of a first-floor end unit for about 15 minutes while a resident stepped out of her condo. She was preparing Italian Christmas cookies at the time. She saw smoke coming from her apartment and then noticed her stove was on fire. The blaze spread upward into the second and third stories through the walls. About 60 to 70 residents were evacuated from the building. In addition to Clearwater firefighters, fire personnel from Safety Harbor, Palm Harbor, Dunedin and Largo also responded to the three-alarm blaze.

The Red Cross helped the displaced residents find lodgings.

Top of the World is a condominium complex for ages 55 and older. For information about Top of the World Clearwater, go to otowclearwaterinfo.com.

For information about Clearwater Fire Rescue, go to myclearwater.com.

Clearwater | Clearwater Fire | Top of the World | Condominium Fire | TB Reporter

#Clearwater #ClearwaterFire #TopoftheWorld #CondominiumFire #TBReporter



Comments are Closed