Hillsborough Commission Approves Grants for Five Cultural Agencies
The goal of the matching grants is to enhance tourism, arts and culture, entertainment, and community education by improving the groups’ facilities.
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY – The Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners has unanimously approved up to $325,000 in matching grant funding for facility improvement projects at five of Hillsborough County’s largest cultural and entertainment venues.
The Capital Asset Preservation (CAP) Matching Grant Program, which was championed by Commissioner Kevin Beckner and established last year, provides annual funding awards for specific capital improvement projects used to promote economic development within Hillsborough. This is done through preserving community capital assets that enhance tourism, arts and culture, entertainment, and community education. Applications for funds require a 100 percent match by the requesting organization.
The five agencies awarded funds this year are Tampa Theatre, Straz Center for the Performing Arts, The Florida Aquarium, Tampa Bay History Center, and Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo.
- Tampa Theatre will use program funds for a basement dewatering system and facility restorations.
- The Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center (dba David A. Straz Center for the Performing Arts) will use the program funds for sound components in Morsani Hall and Ferguson Hall.
- The Florida Aquarium will use the program funds for design and construction of the rising tide expansion.
- Tampa Bay History Center will use the program funds for LED gallery lighting, a louvered metal roof system and sprinkler system, and repairing floors and grouting.
- Lowry Park Zoological Society of Tampa will use program funds for the manatee facility renovations and enhancements.
For information about the Tampa Theatre, go to tampatheatre.org.
For information about the Straz Center, go to strazcenter.org.
For information about the Florida Aquarium, go to flaquarium.org.
For information about the Tampa Bay History Center, go to tampabayhistorycenter.org.
For information about Lowry Park, go to lowryparkzoo.org.
Photograph of ring-tailed lemurs courtesy of the Florida Aquarium from the Journey to Madagascar exhibit.
Hillsborough Commission | Tampa Theatre | Lowry Park | Florida Aquarium | Straz Center | Tampa Bay History Center | TB Reporter
#HillsboroughCommission #TampaTheatre #LowryPark #FloridaAquarium #StrazCenter #TampaBayHistoryCenter #TBReporter