Go Behind the Scenes at Pinellas County Government
It’s time to apply for Pinellas Citizen University.
PINELLAS COUNTY – Pinellas County residents can experience a behind-the-scenes look at how their county government provides services during Pinellas Citizen University.
Registration is open for the six-week course scheduled for Wednesday evenings from March 13 through April 17, including optional Saturday tours.
Participants will get an inside look at various Pinellas County operations each week and talk to the experts as they explore a wide range of county functions. Classes generally meet from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Applications are available online at pinellascounty.org/citizenu or by calling (727) 464-4600. The deadline to apply for this year’s session is Feb. 28. Tuition is $35, which includes snacks, all course materials, graduation ceremony, class photo, and diploma.
During the six-week course, participants will learn about the five goals of the county’s strategic plan with a focus on how employees are setting the standard for public service and making Pinellas an even better place to call home.
Throughout the course, participants will
- Learn about the budget and better understand how the County manages funds, including the Penny for Pinellas.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the Pinellas County Jail and its facility operations.
- See what it takes to plan a hurricane evacuation in the face of an approaching storm and how to stay safe.
- Participate in a Touch-A-Truck demonstration of the Public Works equipment used to bring you safe, effective transportation and faster travel.
- Tour the Waste-to-Energy Facility at Solid Waste and learn how it processes more than 800,000 tons of waste per year, providing electricity to power 40,000 homes.
- Find out how our Utilities department delivers safe, high-quality drinking water and reuses wastewater for irrigation.
- Hear about opportunities to excel after graduation and how to get involved in your community.
These are just a few of the experiences planned for this year’s session of Pinellas Citizen University.
Upon completion, each graduate receives a diploma signed by the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and a class picture to commemorate the event.
Registration for the limited-enrollment class is on a first-come, first-served basis. Enrollment is limited to residents who have not previously participated in PCU. Upon acceptance, a packet will be emailed to all participants with instructions, meeting places, a list of classes and other session information.
Photo of the Pinellas County Courthouse in Clearwater courtesy of Pinellas County.
Pinellas County | Citizen University | Events | Things to Do | Tampabay News
#PinellasCounty #CitizenUniversity #Events #ThingstoDo #TampabayNews