Hernando Sheriff Warns of Craigslist Property Rental Scam
The scammers are using Craigslist to illegally rent properties to unwitting victims.
HERNANDO COUNTY – The Sheriff’s Office said there has been a recent resurgence of property rental scams in Hernando County.
These scams are being run through Craigslist ads, where scammers are posting legitimate property listings from real estate websites while trying to illegally rent the properties to unwitting victims.
The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office Economic Crimes Unit urges sellers and realtors to be vigilant in monitoring Craigslist to determine if their properties have been illegally posted – and have the listings removed. Potential buyers and renters should also perform their due diligence when searching for properties by researching owner information on the Hernando County Property Appraiser‘s website.
How to Spot a Craigslist Scam:
* Rentals listed at an unbelievable price
* Wire money requests
* Requesting too much personal information
* Suspicious story or out-of-town landlord
* Incorrect information
How to Avoid Falling Prey to a Craigslist Rental Scam:
* Insist on meeting in person
* Do not wire transfer money
* Guard your money and information
* Do your research
* Reverse Image Search – right-click the images and select “Search Google for image.” Doing so will allow you to see if the same pictures have been used in postings anywhere else on the web.
For information about the Hernando County Sheriff, go to hernandosheriff.org.
Hernando Sheriff | Scam | Craigslist | Property Rental | Crime | Tampa Bay News | TB Reporter
#HernandoSheriff #Scam #Craigslist #PropertyRental #Crime #TampaBayNews #TBReporter